Monday, September 12, 2005

Different Scope on the Scoop

I was excited to meet Andrew, Kendall, Dusty and Rob yesterday and was inspired to find an image, or set of, that I can really dig my heels into.

After watching Rob's Echoes of Forgotten Places last night, words from Hegel (that I still remember from university) came to mind. He spoke of "worlds worlding" and Earth-earthing", referencing one with physical change; and the other with human history.

In Rome, I stood in the centre of the The Pantheon and heard thousands of years of footsteps - almost through my feet. This would be the worlds 'worlding'. The Druids have sacred oak groves, and in some spots in the forest, you can still sense "special" places. A forest changes naturally over time, as does brick, stone and iron. I'm trying to see this train-scoop's working life - it is mansized, and someone walked miles of underground track with this machine. Musta made one helluva noise.


And for the techies out there, today's materials include gouache; Sharpies; metallic gold acrylic; cordoba, tan and black shoe polish; and high-gloss acrylic varnish. Did you really want to know that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had two memorable experiences with the Pantheon. First, is being inside, after the majority of the tourists have left, and experiencing the space without the rush of people wandering in -- snapping a photo -- and leaving. Feeling the gentle curve of the floor and bending your head down to see it.

The second is an altogether different one, which involves drinking a bottle of wine on the steps of the Pantheon, looking forward to the fountain directly in front of it.

But as for history and future experiences... friends who have returned since I lived in Rome tell me that there's now a McDonald's near the fountain so as you exit one of most iconic buildings of classical architecture you are greeted with -- the golden arches. Hadrian's rolling in his grave...

Blog Archive